How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to upgrade to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are plenty of people dealing with hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and several institutions out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Approximately 14% of the overall population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are above 50 years old
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some form of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would benefit almost 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is extremely worrisome. Because neglected hearing loss has been connected to several health issues from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. In fact, new studies come out on a regular basis showing how crucial hearing is to your general health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain situations even reverse them).
And the last convincing point is that hearing loss can cost the typical family $12,000 in earnings every year. But that cost can actually be lessened by as much as 50% by using hearing aids.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a tremendous impact on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It could also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to get into college and make a decent living when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are many volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or give us a call.